Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My little sister is gay

Today, this week, these decisions to come are monumental. Why? One reason, which I have NO choice in, my little sister is GAY. Savannah Louise Hensley, she's the second in a line of four girls & I'm her oldest sister. This weeks decisions are so very dear to me.

Savannah has always been gay. 

Savannah was born gay. 

(I'm on the left, Savvy's on the right)



In elementary school she played football with the boys, as a child she was the "husband" when we played house & she wore ninja turtle pants without a shirt. She was an innocent child, who had no notion of what was straight, & what wasn't. She was just a little girl.

My parents never told her "this is for boys & that is for girls." Talking to my dad about this, he said, it never crossed his mind that his little tomboy was gay. He "just loved her." This is why I love my parents. Not that it wasn't hard, when she came out in a small town, the rumors & prejudices took hold.  Thank goodness for the support & the many caring people who acted as angels & showed only love.

Savannah struggled, how can you not, in a world where hatred is directed at gay people? My parents never talk negative about anyone or anything. "Each to his own" is thier motto. They are open hearted, open minded; yet, Savannah still struggled. It took therapy for her to finally come out. We loved her even more & we all truly accepted her for who she really was.

She's a graduate of UC Berkeley, she works with mentally ill adults & has done amazing things for humanity & gay rights. She has a pure heart & everyday of her life she makes lives of other's better. Don't judge her for being gay, judge her on her actions. I know, you'll find no need of it, for she is a wonderful person. If you're reading this & passing judgment, get over yourself, she's my little sister, you DONT know her, so how in the world do you have any room to judge someone you've never met?

         (November 2012. Amee flew me & Savannah's best friend Andrea into their town as a    surprise for Savannah's birthday. From left to right; Andrea, Lila, me, Jeana, Savannah & Amee. The four in the middle are all us sisters)


Savannah is with the love of her life, Amee. They've been together about as long as I have been married. I met Amee years before her & Savannah were a couple at her job. At the time she was dating a mutual friend of ours. I remember thinking Amee was drop dead gorgeous, which she is, & remember her being extremely shy. To an extent that it was a little strange. After Amee swept my little sister off her feet, we learned that she was, even then, madly in love with Savannah. Thats why she was so terribly shy. I laugh at the thought. Amee loves my sister to the same extent that I love my husband. To know this brings me such peace. Such happiness, they are soul mates, perfect for one another in every way, same as Caleb & I. Love is a beautiful thing, a natural thing, you cant help who you love.

I live in Texas, I see too much prejudice & hatred. Mostly in the name of God, it's horrible. I'm lucky that the man I married is none of the above. My children will be raised with an open heart & an open mind. They will understand that being gay is not a choice, not for their Aunt Savannah at least. They will love her & love others, be kind, be humble, be open.

These decisions are not only for Savannah & Amee, they are for Laurel. That my daughter will live in a world were marriage is between people who love each other.  Where freedom can wave its flag, forever in gloriousness! Where justice & equality are extended to all the people of the United States of America. That's what these decisions are, they are my heart, my soul, my little sister.











No comments:

Post a Comment